Keltneyburn is a small Perthshire hamlet lying between Fortingall and Aberfeldy and the Keltney Burn, from which it takes its name, is a tributary of the River Lyon.
In 1895 Sir William Arrol & Co Ltd was commissioned to build a new bridge over the burn on the road between the two towns. With increased traffic on the road, the existing bridge had become inconvenient and dangerous as it lay at an awkward angle which was difficult for horse-drawn carriages to traverse. The replacement bridge was designed by Dunn & Watson Ltd to be built 100 yards downstream from the existing bridge. A new access route was formed at the Coshieville Inn to cross the burn at the north end of the Corn and Woollen Mills, where it rejoined the original road.
The bridge was formed of a 60 foot long steel arch with masonry approaches on either side giving a final overall length of 148 feet. The arch over the burn consisted of 4 arched steel girders, strengthened with cross bracings, supporting a floor made of steel concave buckle plates covered with concrete, and edged with steel lattice work parapets on either side. The 40 tons of steel used to make the bridge were supported on either side by stone abutments and wing walls built by John McNaughton, Aberfeldy.
At the time the bridge cost about £1900 to build, of which £500 was raised through local subscription and a further £750 was given as a grant by the County Council. It was opened on 28 October 1896 by Lady Currie, wife of Sir Donald Currie, owner of the Garth and Glen Lyon Estates and chairman of the bridge committee. At 3.30pm a procession led by the 5th Battalion Royal Highlanders Pipe Band, walked from the Keltneyburn Reading Room to the bridge where Sir William Arrol invited Lady Currie to lay the last copstone and cut the ribbon. He then presented Lady Currie with a commemorative silver trowel which was followed by speeches by Sir Robert Menzies and Sir Donald Currie.